368 words on why Millennials are bang on the money.

‘Nowadays, manners are easy, and life is hard’ is what Disraeli said a hundred or so years ago. You reckon?

Part of my plan for a ‘portfolio’ life is based on doing a hopefully useful part time role in the not for profit sector. Salaried, not free, just in case you were thinking too highly of me.

In pursuit of that end, I have applied for a fair number of suitable positions over the last six months, and let us say only that I am still looking.

I started by aiming laughably high, but since then have slowly come to realise that I need not just to be suitable for the role, but already to be the kind of fish that they are angling for, and in the right pool. That’s fine, and I’m doing that adjustment now: talking to recruiters, and doing that most un-British of things, putting myself about.

One thing has staggered me, though.

In only 6% of these applications has the recruiter, or the employer, bothered to get back to me at all. From the other 94%, not a word. Not even a word-processed ‘thanks-but-no-thanks’. Just silence. Icy, hurtful silence.

But please don’t waste your metaphorical tears on me. I can still put food on the table, and I have forty years of work behind me to put the wait for the next ten or so into perspective.

Get hot under the collar instead for the twenty-somethings, many of them hot out of university with £45K of debt and a promise ringing in their ears that the working world wants them. This is happening to them all the time, often from companies who manage to scrape together a couple of million quid each year for their Chief Executives. And remind me, what does an automated email cost?

I’m not suggesting for a second that employers should be under any pressure to employ people they don’t think right, far from it. Failure, well-used, can be a building block for success.

But if 94% of their effort is rewarded by a wall of insolent silence, what the hell sort of world do they think they are trying to enter? 

And we dare to call them ‘snowflakes’.

7 thoughts on “368 words on why Millennials are bang on the money.

  1. Sadly so true ! X

    Like

  2. I’ve had a similar experience recently too and also thought of the younger ones coming up behind us. It’s so rude. Can’t understand why recruiters have stopped seeing recruitment as a brand enhancement opportunity.

    Like

    1. Exactly, Clare. It’s certainly what we have always tried to do as a company.

      Like

  3. This does seem to be the new norm although I’m not sure when it became the new norm. It is awful. It is also the new norm that if you spend time being interviewed & you aren’t favoured with another interview or a job offer, you will also be deafened with silence. Taking the initiative & asking for feedback seems to be taken badly at all kinds of employers both large & small.
    The silence post application probably stems from having algorithms scanning applications meaning that a human rarely sees anything. The person setting up the algorithm has, of course, forgotten to instruct that failed applications should get an email response.

    Like

    1. Agreed, Kevin. Manners are so bloody cheap, if only they knew!

      Like

  4. This is a major soapbox item for me Roger. My son spent a precious weekend in his last year at school filling in a really excellent application for a BBC apprenticeship. “Are you sure you really want to give up your six month skiing job in Italy for this?” was my question. He was adamant – and if you knew just how passionate he was/is about the white stuff you wouldn’t have believed it! He’d been planning it for years. However, he neglected to say that he was severely handicapped by extreme learning difficulties and that he had the misfortune of being brought up in a single-parent family (that’s me Ed.) and there was complete radio silence. Nada. No “Dear John” letter. I’m not going use expletives but I was enraged…

    Like

    1. What makes me so cross is that it’s so bloody easy these days to automate a ‘sorry but no thanks’ reply email. But they can’t even be bothered to do that because it ‘doesn’t add value’.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close